The S-51 was an early postwar development of the R-5. Although intended for the civilian market, most S-51s went into military service. They served with all the US military services as well as with the air forces of Australia, Britain, and Canada. The seven RCAF S-51s were designated H-5. As the first helicopters in the RCAF, they were used mainly for training and experimentation. The S-51 was the first helicopter to open and operate from Cold Lake performing search and rescue missions. All H-5s were retired by the mid-1960s. The United States built 214, and 165 were made in Britain.... Read More
The Sikorsky Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corporation of Bridgeport, Connecticut first manufactured the Sikorsky S-55 helicopter in 1949 using components from its successful S-51 line.
In due course the S-55 model was evaluated as a litter carrier for evacuation of wounded US Army soldiers. These trials were completed in 1949-50 and the helicopters were used extensively during the Korean War. The subsequent impact of the S-55 from commercial and military perspectives was unforeseen at the time of its initial introduction. This unique design marked the dawn of a new era for a...Read More
Herbert Smith designed the Sopwith Triplane in 1916. Within weeks it was in combat. While short-lived, with only 144 built, it was one of the great successes of the First World War. Powered by a nine-cylinder Clerget rotary engine, the Triplane was highly maneuverable with an exceptional rate of climb. It gave the pilot the widest possible field of vision and permitted a high rate of roll.
The Triplane was used only by the Royal Naval Air Service and gained a reputation over the Western Front during the heavy aerial fighting of 1917. The Triplane bridged the gap between the Sopwith...Read More
The Taylorcraft Company began in 1939 at the Britannia Works, near Leicester, England, as Taylorcraft Aeroplanes Limited. 1,604 high-wing Taylorcraft Austers were built during the Second World War for the armed forces of the UK and Canada.
The Taylorcraft Auster Mk VII was based on earlier wartime versions and was used for artillery spotting or aerial observation. It had an improved and more powerful power plant: the 145hp DH Gipsy Major VII. It also featured a more robust undercarriage and auxiliary airfoil flaps.Read More